50 YEARS OF CHANGING LIVES
Throughout our years in Central Texas, our mission has never changed. We aim to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth, helping children build their biggest possible futures.
SEE US THROUGHOUT THE YEARS
- Big Brothers of Austin, Inc. is officially recognized by the State of Texas and begins to operate (October 1).
- Big Brothers of Austin, Inc. grows from serving 5 boys to serving 25 matches.
- BBBS Art Raffle – first major annual fundraiser raises just over $10,000
- Big Brothers of Austin, Inc. works with more than 250 boys.
- Big Brothers begins to serve females and becomes Big Brothers Big Sisters of Austin.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Austin works with more than 400 matches.
- By the 1980s BBBS has grown to serving over 1,000 kids in the Austin area and is named one of the top 5 BBBS chapters in America.
- Hobie Day, an annual match event devoted to sailing, launches.
- Bowl for Kids, one of the agency’s signature annual fundraisers, kicks off in Central Texas.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas moves to 1400 Tillery. Remains there for 28 years.
- The Scholarship Program launches, providing Littles in Central Texas a $2,000 higher education incentive.
Helping Austin launches Ice Ball, a gala benefiting Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas.
- National Big Brother of the Year from BBBS Central Texas (Ben De Leon)
- Gift of land and launch of Capital Campaign
- Agency assumes ownership and management of the Ice Ball gala
- 600+ guests attend Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas’ 11th Annual Ice Ball gala, raising $500,000 for the organization.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters moves into the agency’s new Bennett-Rathgeber Mentoring Center (October)
- Big Futures pilot program launched to serve youth as they transition from high school to young adulthood
- Big Impact Group launched
- BBBS receives BBBSA Gold Standard Award
- BBBS Board of the Year winner
- BBBS Agency of the Year finalist
- SantaCon fundraiser is launched.
- BBBS partners with Austin Central Library to host agency’s largest match holiday party with over 500 participants each year
- COVID pandemic hits. Bowl for Kids, Ice Ball, Scholarship Ceremony, and SantaCon are offered as virtual events. Match introductions are made online.
- National Big/Little Sister of the Year (Ashley Cureton & Brianna Warren)
- Formation of BBBS Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee
- BBBS serves as a voting site for the 2021 presidential election. 10,000 people cast their votes at the BBBS location
FOR THEIR FUTURE
We’re excited you’re here to celebrate our past. We welcome you to help us fund the futures of the children we mentor.
Event Match Holiday Party
Date December 10th, 2021
Event Ice Ball
Date August 28, 2021
Venue Fairmont Hotel
I’ve noticed Dylan’s confidence grow over time and I love seeing him come out of his shell. Seeing a kid recognize the potential hidden within themselves is one of the most powerful things I’ve ever witnessed. It’s like a light bulb that can only be illuminated by someone who genuinely cares about them and is willing to spend the time and effort to help them turn it on. I can’t say enough about the Big Brothers Big Sisters program. I think it truly changes the world one relationship at a time.
Mykayla is an excellent student and has been in Advanced Placement classes. She loves to sing and is in her school’s most accomplished choir. She has many other great attributes, such as her amazing ability to stay focused and calm, as well as her sense of humor. When I think back to the shy 10-year-old girl I met on that first day, and the amazing 18-year-old young woman I know today, I can hardly believe she is the same person. I am so proud of who she has become.
I support BBBS because I believe in the mission to reach out to children who are facing adversity. It is important to help them realize their potential and know that they are special and worthy of care. There are so many children who have a potential for greatness and don’t know it. Sometimes, it just takes one person believing in them to make them believe in themselves. Having a Big Brother or Big Sister to be that person can have a tremendous impact and truly does make a difference.
I'm proud to support BBBS because it has given me the opportunity to make a positive impact on a child's life at a time when it's needed most. Providing encouragement, guidance and mentorship to my "Little" has been equally as rewarding for me, as I've been able to watch her grow into a more confident, and successful young adult. Simply spending time together has been fulfilling for both of us!
I’ve been involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters since 1991, not in the conventional sense but rather as an active participant in the annual fund raiser, Bowl for Kids. I believe in the program. BBBS has proven that one of the best ways to help kids is through mentoring. Pairing a child with a caring adult volunteer builds a bond that they both will remember the rest of their lives.
We are proud to support BBBS because of the powerful, positive impact they have on young people! We’ve experienced the results firsthand and continue to be impressed and therefore supportive! It’s a great organization!
This is a great organization that makes a difference in the lives of Austin-area kids.