National Mentoring Month: celebrating everyday heroes
January is National Mentoring Month – a time to raise awareness about the benefits of mentoring, celebrate the positive effect it has on young lives and thank those special people who gave us someone to lean on.
Mentors are everyday super heroes who change the world by changing a child’s life. What begins as small moments and shared experiences, blossoms into lifelong success as that child grows. So, it’s only fitting that we celebrate mentoring at the beginning of a new year, looking forward to new adventures and glancing back on cherished memories.
Whether you’re a Big, a parent, a former Little or just know someone who is a great role model, we hope you’ll join us in celebrating. Here are 5 ways you can get involved with National Mentoring Month:
- Become a Big! Sign up to volunteer at www.BigMentoring.org/Volunteer
- Already a Big? Share your story on social media this month, using (#BigMentoring @bigmentoring) on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram! (Get the “I Am A Mentor” twibbon here!)
- Send your mentor a ‘thank you’ card and let them know they’re appreciated.
- Spread the word: Tell your friends that they can make a difference to a local child (we always need more Big Brothers and bilingual mentors)!
- Make a gift or join Trudy’s Bowl for Kids to support Little Brothers and Sisters in the program.
We’ll be sharing more stories from real-life Bigs this month, so stay tuned! Will you share YOUR story of what mentoring means to you? Who was/is your mentor? How did/do they impact your life?